To support the Operations Director in ensuring that service is provided in accordance with contracted levels of service through long term resource and network planning, whilst promoting safety and service excellence, and maximizing on revenue and cost control.
Our client is a well established bus operator, and is committed to delivering exceptionally high-quality service in Malta.
- Manage the day to day operational function within the organisation in accordance with agreed service levels, government contract requirements, budgeted costs/revenues and operational goals with the aim of achieving operational excellence.
- Lead by example with visible commitment to health and safety policies and procedures, working closely with the rest of the senior management team to promote a culture where safety comes first and that safety procedures must be complied to.
- Financial and operational planning of the department including the setting of department and sub-department operational plans, targets and KPIs.
- Responsible for the financial performance of the Operations Department, including monitoring of budgets and targets and ensuring performance is within the agreed budget and plans.
- Plan and implement efficient and cost effective fleet and resource allocation and utilisation to improve profitability and sustain a high quality service.
- Ensure that the employees within the department are motivated to remain with the company, and that they have training and development opportunities, recognition opportunities, family friendly measures, and easy access to effective two-way communication.
- Ensure that new employees transition smoothly from training to service, including all the necessary induction and continuous support particularly throughout their initial months.
- Work closely with the Planning Department to ensure that the service is planned and scheduled in the most effective way.
- Develop, challenge and motivate the management team of the department, and their respective teams in order to meet and exceed operational and financial targets.
- Managing of the various aspects of the operation.
- Identify and maximize new commercial and business growth opportunities by developing and implementing new services and products.
- Have a full understanding of individual route performance from a cost and revenue point of view, and a service level point of view, with the aim of increasing operational and financial effectiveness of the route network.
- Establish and maintain constructive relations with government departments, authorities and other external stakeholders with the aim of improving the operation, identifying business opportunities and growing the business.
- Identify and mitigate business risks including the carrying out of regular and visible risk assessments.
- Support the HR department in maintaining positive employee and industrial relations, and assisting with collective bargaining.
- Develop and implement procedures to strengthen the internal control environment of the company to ensure consistency and compliance with company and group policies.
- Implement quality assurance processes to measure service levels and KPIs.
- Promote the use of innovative and technology solutions to improve the customer and employee experience, and the profitability of the company.
- Ensure the effective implementation of disciplinary processes across the department
- Develop and implement the necessary controls to manage revenue collection and reconciliation.
- Support the Commercial Department in resolving customer complaints and queries, and responding to media questions in a timely manner.
- Present and analyse all necessary operational, resource and financial reports to ensure that department is operating within the set targets and goals.
- Reviewing and investigation of accidents and incidents to establish possible accident causes and potential remedies to reduce the risk of accidents.
- Managing various projects that may be assigned from time to time.
- Ensure compliance with the regulations and policies.
- People management skills and capable of motivation and developing people at all levels
- Interpersonal and communication skills with the ability to disseminate these skills to the team.
- Able to demonstrate a sound, practical knowledge of the management of bus operations both from a commercial point of view, and technical point of view
- Familiar with transport business models, revenue structures, cost structures, ticketing solutions, KPIs, transport planning and operational software, and other aspects of a transport business
- Able to understand the needs and expectations of the customer
- Innovative and decisive with a positive attitude and able to implement effective solutions
- English speaking and preferably Spanish or Italian speaking too
- Specific knowledge of international transport legislation, employee legislation, health and safety legislation, passenger rights legislation and other related regulatory frameworks
- In possession of a degree, preferably in transport, operations or logistics
- Five years’ experience in a senior management position within the operational/service department in a passenger transport company
An attractive remuneration package is being offered to the right candidate.