Reporting to the Managing Director, the role involves providing legal support to the Board and assisting the Managing Director and Sales Director in respect of legal, regulatory and client matters.
Due to the size of the organisation, the role necessitates a wide range of responsibilities, including carrying out appropriate research, assisting with projects and liaising with client services teams with regard to client queries concerning the fiduciary services provided by the Company. The role will also include an aspect of providing in-house training to staff.
Our client offers a range of high value advisory and support services to assist companies to understand their market opportunities, develop market strategies and establish business operations successfully in foreign markets.
Duties will include:
- Providing legal assistance to senior management team, particularly in relation to corporate law, trust and estate planning law, regulatory law, international tax law, pension regulations and other laws or statutory provisions as might impact the business;
- Assisting the board of directors in respect of legal and regulatory matters, including day to day responsibility for contentious matters;
- Providing support and guidance to unqualified legal assistants;
- Assisting client-facing teams with enquiries;
- Assisting Business Development Managers (both in Malta and within the wider Group) with enquiries in respect of products and services provided by the Company;
- Researching relevant laws, regulations, guidance, case law and articles, and providing accurate and succinct summaries including suggestions as to how they might be implemented, and presenting findings where necessary;
- Assisting the compliance department with AML/CDD/CFT/ABC issues, Data Protection/GDPR issues and other related issues;
- Drafting, reviewing and approving documentation relative to client matters;
- Drafting and reviewing legal documentation relative to the Company, such as product collateral, marketing materials and non-disclosure agreements;
- Drafting trust deeds and supplementary documents;
- Undertaking administrative matters where appropriate;
- Assisting the managing director in reviewing documents such as business risk assessments, compliance and regulatory manuals, policies and procedures manuals and similar internal documents;
- Assisting the legal and compliance team with respect to Common Reporting Standard, FATCA, substance requirements and other international initiatives in relation to client relationships;
- Providing assistance and guidance to colleagues in relation to projects where appropriate;
- Assisting with regulatory, HR, health & safety and employment matters including suggestions as to how they might be improved;
- Assisting with property matters, including review of commercial leases;
- Liaising with external Counsel;
- Liaising with Head of Group Legal in respect of notifications to professional indemnity insurers;
- Responsibility for complaints, liaising with the Financial Services Arbiter when necessary and providing timely updates to the Board and to Head of Group Legal;
- Liaising with other Group offices and legal representatives who provide services to the Group;
- Attending professional seminars, courses and forums and providing feedback and training to staff on relevant topics;
- Other duties as may be required from time to time in accordance with the demands of the role and the needs of the business.
- Acting as authorised signatory upon successful completion of any period of probation;
- Qualified lawyer
- 3+ years’ post qualification experience
- Warrant holder
- A good working knowledge of how to operate Word, Excel and e-mail system
- Approachable and amiable
- Strong work ethic
- Confident manner and result driven
- High level of problem solving skills
- Good organisation and communication skills;
- Strong analytical skills and the desire to learn and improve skills;
- Accustomed to working as part of a team, with good social and presentation skills;
- Proven ability to provide accurate and succinct reports and summaries;
- Strong attention to detail
It would be desirable to have knowledge of Malta laws, structures and regulations, knowledge of laws relating to some or all of the following – trusts, companies, foundations, data protection, employment, knowledge of CRS, FATCA and other international initiatives.
Salary will be commensurate with experience and prospects for advancement are excellent for the right candidate.
Sarah Miceli +356 2123 2224/5, 2557 2223 (direct)